Thursday, January 11, 2007

Day 3 - The Next Step

From Kitty - I just read the dreams that two of our friends posted in the comments section. Wow! Big! HUGE! That is so great! I spoke to another friend on the phone today and we started brainstorming goals for our dreams, and steps to achieve the goals.

For one area, I have a 4-part to-do list. This is great because the to-do list for my life (which includes "fix the car door" and "mail package to Mom") is 50-60 items long. I can do 4 things. And I can do them before Stephanie and I talk again in two weeks. So I have a list, a timeline, and someone to hold me accountable. Excellent!

My goal of finishing my current novel by the end of February only has one item on the to-do list today. "Re-read the current draft." This is a little scary for me because I need to know what the second and third steps are as well. But as I said with a sigh to Stephanie today, "I guess I don't really need to know step 2 until I finish step 1 - so I better get to it!"

This reminded me of how our lives have been since God started us on our adventures. John and I joke to each other (though it's proving to be true!) that God must have the information on our future classified as "need to know" - and apparently we don't need to know! Often, particularly recently, we only know the next step when what we really want is to know the next ten steps! But if you don't do step 1, it doesn't matter.

Do you know what the next step is for you this year? Do it!

P.S. If you'd like to listen to the sermon on big dreams, click here or go to www.belairpres.org and click on recent sermons. It's the one from January 7, 2007.

1 comment:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Blast from the past! I ran across your blog after running across John's name related to Happy Feet!!! Wow and congrats what an awesome and wonderful experience!!!

Your blog really resonated; my husband Shawn is going back to classes to get his Chiropractic Licensure back and to begin practicing in South Carolina. Before I saw your blog he was commenting on the fact that he'd really like it if God wouldn't keep us so much in the dark about what step comes next. Being on a "need to know" basis with a great deal of "you don't need to know yet" lol. So finding your blog and reading this post in particular was really really a God-send for more than one reason...

One of my goals/dreams is to go back through my life and try to thank everyone who had an impact on my path to Christianity. You are on that list (Big time!) and I'm glad I found a re-connect to you so I can tell you that - of course I'll continue that another time, but for now... I'm so happy that you have continued to be blessed with success and fun! Jess