Friday, February 09, 2007

Strange Thoughts

I was listening to someone talk about the death of Anna Nicole Smith on the radio. The man prefaced his thought with, "I hate to speak ill of the dead, but..." And I wondered, why do people say that? What do they think that? It's okay to speak ill of the living apparently - people do it all the time. But someone dies and suddenly people get all pseudo-respectful.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we tried to be respectful to each other now?

Just my thoughts. What do you think?
Kitty :)

3 comments:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Shawn and I were just having a conversation a few weeks ago regarding that idea of gossip and mean hearted comments. The phrase "bless (his/her) heart..." is very prevalent here (and where my family is from in Tennessee). It's basically used as a preface to point out someones failings and shortfalls... like, "Oh, bless his heart, he's just as ugly as a newborn pig" or "bless her heart, doesn't she know any better than to wear pink with her complexion." As though the blessing of someone's heart somehow excuses the spoken insult.

I know I have plenty to ask forgiveness for; based on past performance, what goes through my head now sometimes (and even sometimes comes out unfiltered by my internal-editor.)

I hope I will always be able to learn and grow as a person and I hope that I will be able to someday find myself in a place where I don't say mean things at all and can let go of the stuff that bothers me and makes my inner-snipe go off.

John and Kitty said...

Ugh, I can't WAIT for that day to come for me, Jess!! LOL!

Kitty :)

familygregg said...

not so strange.